Thursday, January 29, 2009

Data Scams

It is no secret that the economy is struggling, but unfortunately with this downward spiral we are in, there is more to be cautious of. There has been an increase in robberies, muggings, car thefts, and scams. I unfortunately have become the victim of just one of these - debit card scam. This article in USA Today shows the risks we can be in if we are not careful.

Yesterday I used my card to order pizza for my staff, then last night I went to withdraw money and it said unauthorized use. Come to find out, my bank called me and said there were 2 unauthorized charges made via internet shopping to a company in Paris. They denied the charges and closed my card. What a mess! But I am very fortunate that my bank found found the transactions suspicious and put a hold on my card until I verified the information. These were not charges I made, and am unsure who tried to do this. I wish there was a way I could find out who tried to use my card, but right now I am just thankful the bank caught it before it was too late.

I have family and friends who have unfortunately been victim to the car theft incidents a few too many times recently, it doesn't matter if you are parked on the street, valet, or park in a garage. Times are getting hard which are causing people to go to extremes. I think now more than ever it is important to be more aware of your surroundings and where and when you use your debit/credit cards.

1 comments:

Mommy said...

Wow, I am so glad that your bank is on top of crimes of that nature. I will have to keep a closer eye on my card because it is all I use. I never carry cash on me, but this has got me thinking that maybe I should.