Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Trying to Understand

I try to keep things fairly light hearted on the blog, but something has come to my attention which I felt I had to post on here. Last night in the mail I received a very upsetting and disturbing item. Somebody had sent to my home, a pamphlet which was very racist and harassing. I don't want to get into the details of it, due to many reasons, but, I am having a very hard time understand the train of though of this person. The pamphlet was hand addressed to myself, with my address on there, which is not fully listed. I have lived in America a very long time and am a proud citizen of the USA, along with the rest of my family. The ignorance amazes me and the thoughtlessness hurts me. I have unfortunately been at the end of many racist comments/situations and it is very sad.

I have always accepted and respected all other religions and races. Some think that if you are not the same you shouldn't be included in their religious/cultural celebrations, you don't belong or care. The sad part is, I feel that it is honor when somebody invites me to a celebration of their religion/culture. I feel that involving others in those occasions means more than anything else. It shows a level of respect and closeness. I have always been more than happy to share my religious and cultural beliefs with others. It makes you more attuned to your surroundings and is a learning experience when you learn about others. I never push my beliefs on anybody, but feel that is important, in order to co-exist in this world, to understand others and not to judge their beliefs, but accept and respect them.

I hope that in the future when we have children, they will not have to face these obstacles. I know most of my family has been at the end of racism and hate and it is an unfortunate part of our society. I never have or never will judge or exclude people for their beliefs, and hope that by doing that I will be able to overcome the actions of those who do.

4 comments:

Christen said...

I'm so sorry, my friend. That sucks.

Lindsey said...

I am sorry Romie! Some people are ignorant!

Mommy said...

You know some people just plain out SUCK in this world. For them ignorance is bliss. I am sorry that you were hurt and disturbed by such nonsense.

Jaycie and Randy said...

In such an evolved society, it is amazing to see that there are still"cavemen" out there! Don't let the ignorance of some get you down. We all know that you are awesome!! Remember those stupid (don't tell Jackson I said a bad word :)) people are the minority...Open minded accepting indivduals like yourself are the majority!